Thursday, August 18, 2011

A Juxtaposition of Genders

Earlier this week, I sat outside and watched Eliza play with her adorable cousin Ellie. They ran across the grass, giggling and holding hands as their matching blonde curls bounced in the sunlight. It was picturesque. It was adorable.

I then looked to the other end of the yard at my three-year-old nephew, Hayden. He was furiously whacking a tree with some sort of tool he had found in grandpa's storage shed; I was horrified. Nathan ran over to stop the mayhem, but the mental damage had already been done (to me). I began to imagine two three-year-olds attacking a tree and felt myself internally freak out.

I have a little brother, so I know this is typical boy behavior. However, I had forgotten how rambunctious boys can be! Hearing stories of Nathan and his five brothers as they were growing up has only added to my growing concern. Boys are just a different breed (obviously).

That being said, I have also seen Hayden do the sweetest things this week. He has helped Eliza with puzzles and looked for her blanket when it was lost. He has watched the television shows she likes without complaining and even shared pudding! Best of all, he cuddled with me! Eliza isn't a cuddler, so this has given me hope that at least one of my two boys will enjoy sitting with me.

I think I can convince myself not to panic. Two boys is going to be awesome, even if it is at times destructive :)

5 comments:

  1. I'm not gonna lie, boys are HARD. They are destructive and loud and DIRTY. But I love 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe it's because I was the only girl in the middle of boys, but none of that idea of that stuff ever phased me. Now girls freak me out. I have no idea how to be super girly. And the DRAMA. Oh dear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Celia! I really loved reading a parenting book called "The Wonder of Boys". It gives parents, especially mothers, a good general perspective and handle on aggression and other typical behaviors in boys. I too am frightened when I hear stories of "adventures" that my husband and his brothers and friends would go on when they were young, but when you understand how differently boys are wired I think it helps ease worry. I didn't agree with parts of the book, but you take what you want from every parenting book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I agree with Jenny. Boys might be harder when they're small - but girls are harder when they're older.
    Plus, two boys can look out for each other and entertain each other, so they're less likely to get into mischief just because they're bored. (Or so I hear.) ANd they'll help tire each other out!
    AND I think all twins are snugglers. They've been snuggling since they were conceived, it's just natural to want to keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are pros and cons to both genders. Maybe you'll be glad for the boys and lack of drama during the teen years. Boys can be really wild, but Noah is actually pretty chill a lot of the time. Maybe you'll get two quiet, mild-mannered boys! You can hope, right? Or you'll just love every hectic minute of it! Adventure!!

    ReplyDelete

A Penny For Your Thoughts