Thursday, August 4, 2011

Just Breathe

For the past two weeks, I have felt as though I cannot breathe or fully catch my breath (I know, I know...I complain a lot!). With my history of athletically induced asthma, the doctor recommended I use my inhaler twice daily. Apparently, just sitting around and being pregnant is the equivalent of running three miles a day. Who knew? I'm sure many of you did, but Nathan and I didn't know pregnancy was that strenuous of an activity!

Despite the inhaler usage, the sensation of being unable to breathe has only worsened, and I presume it will become more of an issue the bigger these babies become. Unfortunately, I am also prone to anxiety attacks, which often occur when I feel as though I cannot breathe. When I am panicking, it becomes even more difficult to get oxygen (obviously) and that's when we have real trouble. I've been working on trying to relax myself and take it easy, but the shortness of breath persists. With multiples, there is definitely less space and I know my diaphragm is receiving a fair amount of pressure, but I didn't think I would be this uncomfortable so soon! The boys are only 6 and 7 ounces, so they can't be causing too much trouble, right?

Today, my lips are blue and there are dark bags under my eyes. Not a good sign. Nathan believes it could be mostly the anemia to blame, so we're off to get iron pills. 

Has anyone else dealt with this? Suggestions? I've made a list of iron-rich foods, but I'm open to any ideas for healthy foods!
 

7 comments:

  1. I don't have any kind of asthma, but I have noticed that even a small amount energy used wipes me clean and I'm exhausted, sometimes even super lightheaded. Sorry, I don't have any really good suggestions for iron, but I hope you find something that helps. You're amazing and I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I remember feeling the same way with my twins. It just feels like there is no more room and breathing does get worse : ( I noticed a big difference once I found out I was severely anemic and started taking iron. I slept better, I felt more rested and just felt healthier. Hang in there.....having two babies in your belly is definitely hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lot of cereals are iron fortified, some even have 90-100% of daily value like Frosted Mini Wheats and Multigrain Cheerios. Hope that helps! As for being out of breath, I can only imagine how bad it is for you with twins since I felt that way during my first pregnancy a lot but only had one baby in me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. red meat? if you're into that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is Nathan still making green shakes? Spinach has a ton of iron in it and our "green" shakes (actually purple) are so good. We put canned pineapple with the juice, frozen berries, banana, and spinach (with milk or yogurt & ice) in a blender and don't notice the spinach. Also, oranges and tomatoes and other acidic/citric foods help your body absorb the iron you eat, so try to pair your foods accordingly. Hope that helps! ...I hope you're able to get the asthma under control also!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ugh. Asthmoooooooh! Its so dumb. I totally feel your pain. You are so close to us! We have to plan a visit. Seriously. I can even bring my nebulizer along, and we can have an oxygen party- woot woot!

    ReplyDelete

A Penny For Your Thoughts