Monday, January 2, 2012

The First Day of the New Year

Ty, Jenny, and I rang in the new year by watching Food Network and drinking sparkling apple cider. Nathan was exhausted after an incredibly long day and went to bed before 10. Regardless of how I felt, I had to take a shift so Nathan could finally sleep.

Luckily for me, Ty and Jenny did most of the work. I was not much help, as I was slightly delirious from a mixture of a fever and Lortab/Tylenol with Codeine. At 3:45, I finally woke Nathan up so I could go to sleep.

A couple of hours later, I woke up and knew something was wrong.  My entire body was burning hot, and I felt like I couldn't move. I reached for the thermometer on the bedside table and took my temperature in a daze. I heard the beep and looked at the results: 102. 8. 

I definitely had a fever. I needed water and some ibuprofen, but I couldn't move due to an overwhelming feeling of weakness and dizziness. Worst of all, my head was pounding so hard that my vision was blurry. I was a little worried about myself and hoped I wouldn't have to go back to the hospital again. 

I took a picture of myself to send to Nathan, so he would pity me and come to my rescue. I was too dizzy to actually send it, though, so I tried calling him. I began to feel a little desperate when I realized his phone was turned off. As a last ditch effort, I started calling his name, hoping he would hear me down in the basement. It didn't work.

Eventually, I rolled out of bed and crawled to the top of the staircase. I called down to him and heard him answer in an exhausted voice. Apparently, he had been sleeping. The following conversation then took place:

Celia: "Nathan, I have a 102.8 degree fever. I need help."
Nathan: "You'd be dead by now!"
Celia: "What?"
Nathan: "110 degree fever? You'd be dead!"
Celia: "I said 102."
Nathan: "Oh."

Nathan eventually made it up the stairs and was concerned when he saw me. He gave me water and my medicine and helped me back into bed. I said a prayer that the pain, fever, headache, and dizziness would subside and fell asleep.

Four hours later, I awoke and felt like a new woman! Amazingly, my headache was mostly gone and my fever went down to 100.7. I had decided to stop taking the stronger drugs around midnight and was even able to resume nursing. Apparently, all I needed was sleep. It cured almost everything.

And tonight, my fever is completely gone! I'm still dizzy, but I can handle it. Obviously, it isn't too horrible or I wouldn't be blogging!

I'm certainly glad I don't look or feel like this anymore:
The difference between a mild fever and high fever. I'm glad my skin is no longer sickly pale or dark red. And yes, now you have seen me at my finest!


  1. Fever = NOT AWESOME. I'm so glad you felt better quickly and that you were able to sleep. Basically, you're just not allowed to be ever again, because of all people, you and Nathan deserve good health.

  2. there's the celia i know and love :)


A Penny For Your Thoughts