Sunday, November 22, 2009

Additional Information:

Note: KEEP THIS MEDICINE out of the reach of children.

So why would I give it to my two-month old then!? This is Eliza's prescription bottle for Zantac, a drug adults take for acid reflux. I did some research and SO many articles say Zantac causes vertigo, dizziness, and even insomnia in babies. Great.

Nathan and I agreed to give Eliza Zantac just long enough to repair the damage to her esophagus caused by her horrible case of acid reflux. I spent four or five hours looking for alternative solutions for Eliza's oversupply syndrome and the acid reflux. Finally, I stumbled upon a gem of an article entitled "Infantile Colic: Does Every Baby Have It" And after some further research, Nathan and I decided to have Eliza adjusted by an infant chiropractor. I called my old chiropractor in Orem and asked if he adjusted babies. Miraculously, he did. And he had an opening in an hour. And he accepted our insurance. Thank you, thank you!

Dr. Makin examined Eliza and found that she had a hiatal hernia, which I had suspected after countless hours on Google. The pediatrician and the chiropractor said this condition often occurred in babies with "colic." Dr. Makin adjusted her back (not like you think, though. I held her while he gently pushed his fingers) and discovered her spine was completely twisted. Additionally, he corrected the hernia. She was screaming and then all of a sudden she was completely quiet. She stilled. She looked around. And then she started smiling. She was so happy! Nathan and I both cried with relief. Although she has cried the past two nights, it has not been NEARLY as bad. Last night, she slept from 5:00 AM to noon! SEVEN HOURS, my friends!! That has NEVER happened. I just hope things get better. We're seeing the chiropractor tomorrow to make sure the reflux hasn't caused her stomach to go back up into her esophagus, which sometimes happens. Hopefully, everything will be great.

Lesson learned: Babies never just "cry" for twelve hours at a time for no reason. So many people kept telling me: "babies cry -that's what they do." CORRECTION: babies fuss - that is what they do. Her screams obviously were telling us she was in pain.

Sorry it took so long, Baby. We feel awfully bad. But I think we've found a solution...FINALLY!

11 comments:

  1. Yay less crying! I don't know how you could do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have really had a frustrating time, but I do hope this will help Eliza's problems! Poor little thing! I have heard some girls at my office talking about taking their children to chiropractors too, and they really seem to be satisfied with the treatment! Good luck and happy sleeping!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had know about baby chiropractic adjustments earlier. I think Wes would have done really well with an adjustment and I didn't know that was even an option until he was like a year old and his issues had sorted themselves out. Poor kid probably just had back pain and headaches. Glad it worked out so well for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you went to a chiropractor and had found out what you needed to learn. That's so great that Eliza slept for so long! I can't wait to see you guys this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow that is great! So glad she slept so long! :)! I am excited to come and meet that girl! Is it okay if I borrow your bed still?

    ReplyDelete
  6. omg. you are the best mom ever... I would never have done that...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy cow. Who would have thought that babies can see a chiropractor? Luckily, I never had that much trouble with my little one, but it's good information to know for future children! Wow. And I am so so happy that she slept for 7 hours! That is beyond amazing. I'm so proud of you, you're doing a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow! I love my chiropractor...glad you got little Eliza all fixed up :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh thank goodness! I've been feeling so bad for you, I almost cried reading this! I hope this continues to help.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay! I am so glad! I have been praying for you guys and hoping you could find a solution! It's soooo true! Babies DON'T just cry. In Hayden's 9 months he has NEVER just cried. he always needed something... even if it was just a hug from mommy. I hope this keeps helping! God bless y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh i thought of something about the medicine last night as i was falling asleep... they say to keep it out of the reach of children because children cannot regulate their intake and too much can be really bad. But the right amount (way smaller for children than adults) can be helpful. Like Tylenol. It's highly deadly for children is taken in too high of an amount. It causes liver failure. BUT it's the only thing safe for little children IN THE RIGHT DOSAGE. I just thought i would mention that... I hope everything is still going better!

    ReplyDelete

A Penny For Your Thoughts