Thursday, July 25, 2013

Jane Katharine Vaughn

After being in Washington for nearly a month, Nathan and I considered staying a little longer, but we both felt like we should come back to Utah for a number of reasons. The most important reason (in my mind) was the fact that Becca's due date was quickly approaching, and I didn't want to chance missing the arrival of little miss Jane. We got back to Springville late Monday night, and I felt relieved that we were home and that Becca was still safely pregnant. Her c-section was scheduled for the following Monday, and Becca's mom and sister, Karen and Christy, had made plans to arrive in Springville on Friday. I was prepared to take Ruby for a couple of days and do whatever possible to help. As many of us know, things don't always go according to plan when it comes to having babies.

On Wednesday morning, I woke up to a text message from Becca saying something like, "I'm having some weird symptoms. Do you think I might be in labor? I'm probably not in labor and it's no big deal, but I thought I would ask." Let me just say: I am so glad Becca texted me. She knows very well that I thought I was in labor, but then decided maybe I wasn't, and then barely made it to the hospital in time to deliver the twins. I immediately called her and could tell she was leaning towards going to her doctor's office, but didn't want to be a bother to anyone--especially if it was a false alarm. Additionally, it was Pioneer Day, a holiday in Utah, and the doctor's offices were closed so Becca had to go to the hospital. Her husband, Kyle, came home from work, and Ruby came over to play.

A couple of hours later, Becca called and tried to tell me as calmly as possible that the baby was coming. She had nothing at the hospital, but luckily, I had a key to her house. I ran over and began frantically collecting things. Nathan took the day off of work and watched the kids as I rushed to the hospital to be with Becca. I was feeling pretty distraught for her--her mom and sister weren't there, she had nothing prepared, and she mentally wasn't expecting a baby that day. That being said, she was excited and had a great attitude considering the craziness of the day.


Becca went back for the c-section with Kyle and a few minutes later (it felt like forever!), she was wheeled back into the room where I was waiting. I talked to Becca until she could be moved and meet her precious little daughter. During the c-section, the doctors discovered a true knot in the umbilical chord. The chord was also wrapped around Jane's neck three times, so it's an extra special miracle that Becca had planned on a c-section.

Jane had some breathing issues, so she had to be on the cpap for a while. Kyle stayed with her and watching the two of them together was pretty adorable.

A little while later, Jane was able to move back to her room with Becca. Jane Katharine Vaughn is perfection.

Kelsey and I were there to give moral support to Becca and keep her distracted from the fact that her mom and sister weren't there. Meanwhile, Karen and Christy were racing from California to Utah in order to meet their precious grandbaby/niece. I was fortunate enough to be there when they met Jane for the first time. Just looking at these pictures again brings tears to my eyes. It was such a special moment.



Meeting your granddaughter for the first time: pure joy. I know because I've seen it, and I just cried because it was so amazing to witness.

I'm so glad I was able to be there for Becca and meet Jane so soon. I am reminded that labor is hard and that women endure incredibly trying and difficult situations for their unborn children. C-sections are not an easy thing to recover from, but Becca willingly endured surgery for her tiny daughter...and she didn't complain anything! I was so impressed by her strength throughout the craziness of the day. And lastly, I was reminded that children are truly miracles from God. Every delivery that goes well really is a miracle.

I'm excited to get to know Baby Jane better! And don't you love her name?

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Penny For Your Thoughts