Saturday, June 12, 2010

Let Them Eat Cake

For the second consecutive weekend, Nathan and I have let our competive natures lead to a fierce match of brains, skill, and luck playing this game: Guillotine is an addictive card game our friends Joe and Tina introduced us to earlier this year. It involves the French Revolution, the decapitation of nobles, and figures like Marie Antoinette and Robespierre. The game even includes a mini (paper) guillotine! Morbid, I know...but it's awesome.

Nathan and I didn't even know we were the type of people who enjoyed games (besides Scrabble) until we started learning new ones with our friends every weekend. Our new goal is to buy a new game each month and enjoy spending time together while we play. I hope our marriage can withstand all the friendly competition. What can I say? I like to win...so does he. It's all fun and games until one of us loses.

Nathan demands a rematch as I write this. He couldn't end the night with such a bad loss. I don't blame him :)

6 comments:

  1. Haha. Ty and I need some good games that will work with just the two of us. We have plenty of big group games, but they just aren't as fun with only two players. Suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We own this game and I love it, too. Have you tried Ticket to Ride, yet? How about Blokus? I love Settlers of Catan, Iron Dragon (hours to play this one), Union Pacific, and many other games, also. :-) Enjoy!

    ~SML

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second the request for good games for just two players... I love to play games! I see those listed above but have never heard of any of them! Where do you find these games??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaron and I can't play games together. We're both too competitive and it never ends well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Heather and Jenny-
    We bought our games at Game Den and Games People Love at the mall here. They are also on Amazon. Some good two player games: Farkel (it's a dice game), Guillotine and Bang (action card games), Upwards and Boggle(word games), Wise and Otherwise (similar to Balderdash), and Mexican Train (similar to Dominos). Killer Bunnies is a great game with action cards, but it can get out of control! The Great Museum Caper is kind of like Clue and exciting. Nathan really enjoys that one. Settlers of Catan is SO much fun too (you are settling a piece of land -ish). AND RISK!
    @SML- My husband LOVES Blokus!That and Ticket to Ride are the two next games in line for us. As for Settlers of Catan, we LOVE that game. It can lead to quite the argument. Thanks for the other suggestions!
    @Kayla- I am too competitve for my own good. I am glad Nathan and I aren't the only couple who don't do well playing games against each other.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another great two-person game: Stone Age. Fun, fun times.

    ReplyDelete

A Penny For Your Thoughts