Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Conversations with a Plumber

Friday morning, I noticed our kitchen smelled particularly pungent. Knowing the dishes were all safely in their cupboards and the garbage can was empty, I began to investigate the source of the odor. And then I looked down...The floorboards were buckling.

My stomach sank. Somehow, water had gotten beneath the wood and had rotted overnight. Nathan and I had noticed water near/around the sink, but thought it was due to washing hands/doing dishes.  Unfortunately, we were quite wrong.

Nathan called a plumber (whom he had also called when he decided to install our washer/dryer combo himself and cut a water pipe causing flooding...but that is another story), who determined there was a leak and fixed the problem. Because he was already at our house, we had him look at an ongoing problem with our toilet. Before we even purchased the house, we were told the toilet leaked.  It was supposed to be fixed before we closed on our house, but the handyman who was sent did nothing. Long story short- the porcelain of the toilet had an irreparable leak. Man! Sometimes, owning your own house is not as much fun as it sounds. 

After talking with the plumber, he assured me: "Don't worry, I've seen worse. Way worse."

The following conversation then took place:

Me: "What's the absolute WORST you have seen?"

Plumber: "Working in any apartment/house where women live."

Me: "So what's the worst thing you've seen there."

Plumber: "Well, a few summers ago, I was at this apartment complex a few block north. These girls just let a toilet run for hours until I got there. They didn't even try to do anything to stop it, so it flooded their apartment and went through the ceilings. Ridiculous. It was a MESS."

Me: "Was it three summers ago? At a place called Park Place? Two story?"

Plumber: "Yeah. That might have been it!"

Me: "700 N? Raw sewage coming through the ceilings and cabinets downstairs? Sewage in the light fixtures? That?"

Plumber: "YEAH! And I remember their neighbors were getting new new-"

Me: "- COUCHES."

Plumber: "Yeah! That was YOUR PLACE? WOW."

Me: "I was at work when that happened. That was NOT my fault."

Oh, Park Place. Your shotty plumbing is history. Remember when the upstairs flooded that one time, Brittany? AWESOME.

p.s. I found this photo online:

Oh the memories.

10 comments:

  1. That's crazy! What are the chances? Also, that is exactly the kind of thing that scares me about owning a house someday. My fear is that we'll buy a house and then something major like the roof will need to be replaced and cost SO much money....but I still want a house kinda. Except when something breaks and the nice dude here comes and fixes it for free. Also - we need to talk soon! I'll call ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was poo in our lighting fixture. Not only was it poo, but I'd go as far to say that it was shit in our lighting fixture. Seriously, poo infested water was in our kitchen cabinets! Haha! I'm dying of laughter right now! The few times I've retold that story, I call it, "The time when our toilet exploded" What a nasty, nasty moment in our lives.

    p.s. who's fault was that????

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. I just clicked on that picture and are those someone's bridals hanging up? What the? Who does that? Also, if I remember correctly, you guys painted that apartment which means this picture was taken after we all lived there. I hope the new girls washed their hands after changing the light bulbs...

    ReplyDelete
  4. it WAS after!! It is a posting for the apartments...it is now the "show apartment." Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. p.s. Those bridals are so creepy!!! haha!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As for the culprit, I think TK was the only other person there at the time....so yeah. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was totally confused when I didn't recognize any of the stuff there! So it was after our time--the "show apartment"? That piece of shiz?

    I am SO GLAD I was gone the summer of the exploding toilet. I chose the right term to go home I think. I got to "enjoy" the place before and after the sewage-in-the-cabinets ordeal.

    Somehow I still miss Park Place sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, crappy BYU-approved housing. No pun intended.

    ReplyDelete
  10. HAHAHA! I remember that too! I can't believe it's the SAME PLUMBER!

    ReplyDelete

A Penny For Your Thoughts