Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Apparently, I'm a Threat to National Security

When our flight was delayed three hours due to "severe weather conditions" in Dallas, the passengers aboard our plan were calmed with the statement: "Do not worry. All flights are being delayed. You will not miss your connecting flight. I repeat: You will not miss your connecting flight."

Why do you LIE American Airlines?

We landed at 10:48 PM; our next flight left at 10:53 PM. That's right. A whopping five minutes to run with our baby in her stroller to the terminal furthest away from us. It will probably not surprise you that we missed our flight. We thought they might hold the plane for us (which has happened before when the airline KNOWS you are there...just stuck on another plane), but they didn't.

What they DID do, however, was offer to give us a "discounted" rate to spend the night in a hotel because the next flight didn't leave for 16 hours. We didn't even get a voucher. Just a discount. Ridiculous.

Well, the real trouble started today- the morning after all the supposed mayhem. I realized the luggage I was asked to check at the gate (because there was no room in the overhead bins) had all of my identification in it. I assumed I would get the luggage back at the end of the flight, but nope; they sent those bags off. My wallet with my driver's license and credit cards was already in Salt Lake City by the time I woke up this morning. Frantic, I called the airline and they told me: "People lose identification all the time. Just come early for a background check and you are good to go." No problem. Easy.

Until I failed the clearance questions....TWICE. After explaining I had only recently changed my name and perhaps all questions should be answered with my maiden name, I was told: "We can find no record of a Cecilia Robbins living at any of those addresses."

Well....I TOLD YOU: "I wasn't Cecilia ROBBINS when I was living with my parents for 18 years!"

And then, I said: "Would I have passed clearance if you had been searching for the answers to these questions, assuming I was Cecilia White?"

"I can't answer that, ma'am."

WELL, WHY NOT!

The best part though came when an airport supervisor was asked to speak to a higher up in Washington, D.C. Again, I failed their series of questions. The supervisor, Latisa, was just as upset as I was. She informed the man that I was a mother, travelling with my baby, and that my husband did have identification (if that would help at all). His response was to ask what I was DOING and how my demeanor was. Really. Umm...let's see. Shifty eyes... sweaty.. nervous... definitely anxious. Yep! What did he think I was doing? I was holding my baby, looking exhausted, and ready to go home.

Well, after failing with TSA twice, the police were called over. They searched me and did yet another background check. This time I passed.

And that's how American Airlines nearly ruined my vacation. I will NEVER fly with them ever again. Beware.

7 comments:

  1. Ugh. I'm so sorry this happened! That's so annoying.
    Boooo.
    Everyone sucks. Airplanes suck. I heard it's even more annoying now. I hope you're relaxing in Utah now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. DANG! wow i am sorry that sucks!! Glad you were able to make it back!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What the frick, that totally sucks. The whole marriage-changing-your-name thing really complicates life for a while. I'm glad you're back in Utah! It's been BORING.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man that's terrible. I'm so sorry. I kind of got stressed out just reading about it, so I can only imagine what it was like to experience that. Airplane travel can be so crazy. :( I'm glad you're home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy Crap! Man, some people are just stupid. I hope you make it home okay and in one piece after such an ordeal. I can't believe they didn't give you a voucher!!! Discounted rate? Are they nuts?! It's their fault you missed the flight. What were you supposed to do? Drive the plane yourself and go faster? Idiots. Sorry. That's me rambling. I'm forever ruined with airlines and airports after last year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So I was completely amazed after reading this post that I just had to share it with Matt. And he says "That's just plain harrassment. I would have sued them." haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, TSA is only doing their job. You totally look like a terrorist. They were also completely justified confiscating a kid's Play-doh, crowding 10,000 people in a Newark terminal, and making everyone strip to their undies, which is, um, where the explosives are hidden anyway!

    Once, when I flew with Megan, they threw away her yogurt because it was Yoplait. Yo-baby, Trix, and any yogurt with a baby or cartoon character on the front would have been accepted. I thought my dad was going to blow a gasket. Too bad he wasn't with you during your ordeal.

    Better luck next time! After hearing that story, keeping you maiden name sounds like a good idea, eh?

    ReplyDelete

A Penny For Your Thoughts