Thursday, May 2, 2013

Mushroom Problems

Overnight, mushrooms grew in a planter my father had in his living room.  When I woke up this morning, I immediately noticed them because they were at least 6 inches high. SIX INCHES!!
I waited for my dad to wake up to show him the mysterious visitors and then asked him what he thought about it.

He agreed that it was rather strange. Being a curious person, Nathan decided to look up the kind of mushroom it was. A few minutes later, he looked up with a shocked expression on his face and said: "Umm...I am pretty sure those mushrooms are called the Destroying Angel and the deadliest fungi in North America."

After looking at a number of pictures, it was apparent that he was correct. We immediately took the plant outside, dug up the mushrooms, and then left the planter outdoors. I was a little unsettled that the kids were playing near the plant all morning and kept thinking, "What if?" which really does nothing good for my anxiety.

Moral of the story: It's always good to do a little mushroom research...and holy crap, deadly mushrooms can grow in your indoor plants overnight!


A Penny For Your Thoughts