Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Oh What A Morning

Reading. I couldn't stop myself from finishing every word of Harper Collins' book Mockingjay before falling asleep last night.

As many of you know, Mockingjay is the third book in the Hunger Games series. For the first time in ages, I felt excited about reading an amazing novel. I bought the book as soon as I had the chance and of course bumped into Becca, a fellow Hunger Games fan, at Costco.
(Becca is 8.5 months pregnant and looks this awesome. This photo was also unexpected)

Last summer, the second book, Catching Fire, was released days before I gave birth to Eliza. Becca and I bought our copies together, and I managed to finish the book the day before Eliza was born. I was having mild contractions at that point, but couldn't care less because the book was so incredibly exciting. Nathan could not understand it.

Nathan also could not understand why I was still reading at 2 o'clock this morning. At 2:44 AM, I finished the last page.  Overall, it was a great ending, but parts of me were somewhat disappointed; I always feel sad when a good book is over. I was also sad because I knew I had to be at work four hours later.

And then only a few short hours later, I heard a lot popping noise and other distant sounds outside the open window. Of course, I ignored it. And then, the constant hum of the oscillating fan in our room stopped. It was time for me to get up for work, so I decided to investigate. I reached for the light and realized our house had lost power. Unsure if it was just our house or the entire neighborhood, I woke up Nathan, asking: "Did you pay our power bill?"

He was only slightly annoyed as he said: "Of course I did." I took a shower in the dark and tried to get ready for work. Nathan called the power company and as it turns out, the loud noise I heard was a semi-truck taking down seven power lines and flipping over only a block away.
So, that is the long explanation as to why I came to work today completely exhausted, with soaking wet hair, and a hair dryer.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, you're really a marathon reader! I can't wait to start reading mine - I hope it shows up tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what an awful morning! hope they fixed the power lines!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My little sister complained about that power outage for seriously 15 minutes. I think it almost killed her. Tough thing for a 15 year old on the first day of school, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um, you have BANGS!!! Hooray! I've heard of these and have thought about reading them. I'll put it on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. when did you get bangs? and why did you not tell me? i'm feeling a little hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was severly disappointed in the Mockingjay book. I thought a lot of things should have been resolved better and I didn't agree with all of the deaths, some were necessary but I don't want to ruin for anyone.

    ReplyDelete

A Penny For Your Thoughts