Saturday, July 3, 2010

A Mother's Day Out

For months after Eliza was born, I felt incapable of going anywhere alone with her. The thought of venturing out alone with Baby was anxiety-inducing, stressful, and ultimately an impossibility. This fear developed during Eliza's colicky-days, when Nathan was the only person who could calm her for any amount of time. However, my anxiety did not disappear when the colic finally subsided; I suppose I lost most of my mothering confidence.

Because of this debilitating phobia, Nathan was forced to join me when I took Eliza to any appointment or baby related outing. Due to his flexible schedule, this was never a problem. Eventually, this codependency evolved to the point where I couldn't go anywhere alone, even if I didn't have the baby; I always wanted (needed, in my mind) Nathan. So, for months, he did everything with me from grocery shopping to midnight diaper runs.

Annoying, right?

Well, two months ago, Nathan was hired full time as the Assistant Manager at Noodles & Company (yay for Nathan!). Obviously, this changed things drastically. Because we work opposite schedules and seldom see each other throughout the week, I have been forced to adapt. Sitting at home all day begins to get old after ten months. I am proud to say I went out alone this week with Eliza multiple times and managed perfectly well. It has taken some getting used to, but this past weekend, I felt completely anxiety-free. Eliza and I have had so much fun together, and I finally feel able to enjoy just being with her- my sweet little baby girl.
 

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you were able to overcome your anxiety. You and Eliza look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was the same way, since Megan was colicky and a preemie. Don't worry, start going out lots, because it's not going to get any easier until she's about 5! :)

    ps Do you get free Noodles?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the most adorable thing I have seen in a long long time.

    ReplyDelete

A Penny For Your Thoughts