Friday, January 3, 2014

Friendship and the Tree of Gondor

Nine years ago, during my freshman year of college, my first ovarian cyst burst. For years, I would have an occasional cyst rupture every few months. Since having Eliza, though, I hadn't had any episodes (until recently) and had hoped I was cured of the cysts.  Then, in August, I had one suddenly rupture for the first time in five years. Thee weeks later, another cyst burst. .After an ultrasound and several exams, I was told that my left ovary is twice the size of my right ovary and full of cysts. I have been praying not to have another painful episode, but last night, yet another cyst burst.

Like those first painful episodes in college (where I was rushed to the hospital and given morphine), I was delirious with pain. It was midnight, I was panicking due to the pain, and Nathan didn't know what to do. He tried to help calm my breathing, but the only thing I knew to do was to ask for Becca. She has been through these episodes several times with me, and I felt like I needed her in order to calm down. Nathan called her at midnight and she was at our door within minutes. She helped me focus on my breathing, and my panic attack soon ended.

After being in so much intense pain, though, I was unable to sleep. So, instead of going home and sleeping (because it was almost 1 AM at that time), she stayed awake with me and watched Return of the King until my body stopped shaking and my sobs subsided. That is definitely true friendship. I'm so grateful she lives next door!

Today, though, she completely outdid herself. My Christmas present from her had been delayed in arriving, but finally came this afternoon. When she gave it to me, I couldn't believe it! It was the one gift I had contemplated buying for myself (and I had even told her this, but she had already purchased it!), but it was sold out in my size. How amazing is this Tree of Gondor shirt? I'm a little obsessed.
Good friends are definitely wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Penny For Your Thoughts