Tuesday, April 13, 2010

So Maybe I was Eavesdropping

As I clean tables at In-N-Out, I often overhear bits and pieces of various conversations. Last night, as I attempted to use a magic sponge to remove several insufferable stickers (we hand them out to children) off of the tables, I heard a hipster youth assertively tell his friends: "But really...what can you do with an English major?"

Well, I thought, you could scrubs stickers for half an hour and work at In-N-Out with me. Or if you wanted to work in an office, you could land a job in a finance department with me. Which option sounds best? Because I'm an English major and that's what I do for a living.

One of his friends, a young girl holding a copy of some paperback book (I didn't want to stare long enough to make out the title) and the obvious target of his disapproval, said: "But I LOVE reading, and I LOVE writing."

I walked towards a suddenly empty table to clear trays and resume cleaning, but continued to think about their conversation. There have been moments recently, well many hours and even entire days, where I have hated "College Celia" who decided to get a degree in something she loved over something practical. At the time, I believed law school was the long-term plan. I thought I could major in a subject I absolutely loved while on the road to my ultimate goal. However, plans change. Now that law-school is nowhere in the near future, I cannot help but think: "Why did I even go to college!? For what? So I could take orders or adjust financial accounts? This has nothing to do with English!"

But last night, I remembered why I became an English major. I love books. I love words. I love writing. When I am doing mindless tasks at work, like cleaning restrooms or restocking ketchup dispensers, I often write blog posts, memoirs, or any kind of story in my head. I love reading blogs written by friends and family members or even complete strangers, especially when they are well written. I get excited over literary passages, poems, and song lyrics.

Words have the power to change us. That is why I am an English major. With this in mind, I walked back towards the table. I casually asked the group if I could clear their trays, then looked at the girl. Without being too awkward, I explained how I had heard a bit of their conversation, the part about English majors in particular. I told her if she loved books, then it was a good major for her. I let her know of all the possibilities: teaching, freelance, writing, editing, and even law school. We had an overwhelmingly positive, yet small conversation. It wasn't awkward at all (like I thought it would be).

The boy, who had made the comment earlier, looked at me and said: "Dude, you're changin' lives here. I can tell from just how you talk that you've gotta be an English major."

The girl gave me a knowing smile and all was right with the world for a few seconds, it felt. They stood up to leave, and I recognized the book underneath the girl's hands: The Book Thief, one of my favorites.

So thank you, Blog and blogging friends. You are my literary outlet.

4 comments:

  1. that's why I'm an English major too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny that you wrote about this tonight, because just before I read this post, Ben and I were talking about how much is left to pay on my student loan. Some people might say that it was pointless to go to 6 years of college and teach for only 2 years, then become a full time mom. But just like you, everything I learned was totally worth it, and I really enjoyed it.

    I LOVE books too! There are so many studies that show that that will influence Eliza's love for reading as well. So go you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not gonna lie. I've almost though about going back to school to be an either English major or Creative Writing major. I say stick with your passion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. English? Oh that's what you speak. ;-)

    I need to read some of your stories Celia!

    ReplyDelete

A Penny For Your Thoughts