Friday, October 2, 2009

Who Needs Sleep Anyway?

Not me! Now that we have cable, I will gladly stay awake with the baby ALL night. Just kidding- but cable does make it more bearable. I am slightly embarrassed to admit that shameful reality, but it is just so true! Eliza's "awake phase," the time where she is alert for four to five hours straight, remains to be in the middle of the night and early morning. Although this was eventually pushing me towards a nervous breakdown, I think I am beginning to acclimate. Last night, I didn't mind watching infomercials (the only thing on at 4 AM even when you DO have cable) and then early morning showings of Monk. I got this!

As long as she continues to be healthy, I will feed this little girl whenever she wants. And let me tell you- that's a lot! Even though she enjoys her pacifier (a lovely gift she did not have the privilege of enjoying until she was comfortable breastfeeding), it just doesn't make her happy throughout the night. Our pediatrician said most babies used it for comfort as they slept, but Eliza likes her "binky" (yes- I am that mother who asks her husband where the binky is) only when she is awake. Sleeping with either Nathan or me is the best way to ensure a good night's rest. Caitlin, a fellow new mother, agrees that co-sleeping is a lovely thing. My mother assures us we are creating the makings of a needy child who will continue to sleep with mommy and daddy until she is six or seven (like my sister). However, we know this is a temporary (yet necessary) thing.

Basically, I support co-sleeping for utilitarian purposes: It is undoubtedly the greater good, the easy solution to making everyone happy. Nathan and I get to sleep and Baby gets some comfort and doesn't cry all night. We're just one big happy family this way :)
Now...if Nathan can only get over his irrational fear of rolling over Baby, we'll be all good.

3 comments:

  1. I couldn't handle not getting enough sleep. HOW ARE YOU DOING IT????

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Nathan. I'm afraid of rolling over babies too. We should just feel lucky we don't have a fear of babies rolling over US... or babies driving tanks. Actually, that's pretty scary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie- IT IS SO HARD. Seriously. Thanks for freaking out about that...it means a lot. And Kyle, my heart is full. I am so glad you came over.

    ReplyDelete

A Penny For Your Thoughts