Wednesday, February 24, 2010

My Playlist is Psychic

As some of you may have noticed (and been annoyed by), I have a playlist on my blog which plays several songs I particularly love.

Back in December, Nathan made me rearrange the songs so "West Coast" by Coconut Records didn't always play first. "Haiti" by Arcade Fire assumed the number one position.

Throughout the summer, I was pregnant, sick, and confined to my bed. I listened to the Arcade Fire album and this song in particular every day between hours of playing Snood and watching Lord of the Rings and Jurassic Park. Seriously, guys. I did that about everyday. You might think that sucks, but

IT. WAS. AWESOME.

In short, the song makes me happy. And after the disaster in Haiti, I thought I would leave it up on my blog. I also decided I would post the lyrics, which are eerily haunting:

Haïti, mon pays,
wounded mother I'll never see.
Ma famille set me free.
Throw my ashes into the sea.

Mes cousins jamais nés
hantent les nuits de Duvalier.
Rien n'arrete nos esprits.
Guns can't kill what soldiers can't see.

In the forest we lie hiding,
unmarked graves where flowers grow.
Hear the soldiers angry yelling,
in the river we will go.

Tous les morts-nés forment une armée,
soon we will reclaim the earth.
All the tears and all the bodies
bring about our second birth.

Haïti, never free,
n'aie pas peur de sonner l'alarme.
Tes enfants sont partis,
In those days their blood was still warm


OK. Well, until this moment I never realized the song was THAT depressing or that half of the words were sung in French. How strange. How could I possibly not have noticed that?!

And according to iTunes, I have listened to the song 238 times.

("Fidelity" by Regina Spektor wins out).

***Addendum: Said playlist has now been removed because it is just too annoying.



4 comments:

  1. I wasn't going to say anything about how much it irritates me, but, um, since you brought it up, can I just say that I try to comment as quickly as possible so it won't play!!!! hahaha

    Not that it's bad music or anything, but I'm generally listening to the tv or other music already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha... it irritates me too!! It's so loud and it never stops. This means it will be removed.....tomorrow. For I am too lazy to remove it tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm.... well... can i say i disagree. I used to come to your blog to listen to music. and now my music is gone. bummer. :o(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly- You are the sweetest. I just love you!

    ReplyDelete

A Penny For Your Thoughts